Saturday 7 October 2017

ORBIT Pro

My first racing bicycle was an Orbit America. I bought it new in 2002.

Time flies. I bought this Orbit on ebay in July 2009 for £35 collection only! Bargain. Eventually I got around to bringing the frame and forks back to life. I created an album on Flickr to log some of the work. Here, see for yourself: https://www.flickr.com/photos/61001946@N06/albums/72157658854259136

"531 frame and forks, probably an Audax design due to the four point rack mountings at rear, bought on ebay in 2009. It was listed with a stuck seatpost, actually this came out pretty easily BUT I had to fight with the stem (machining a drift to remove it) after that it was time spent with a wire wheel on an angle grinder, my beloved mordant solution and metal paint from Aldi. 
(In one of the photos those wheels are MTB with 1.5 tyres and BMX brakes to reach all the way to the rim. The short cockpit was unpleasant and it looks stupid. Bits were transferred in 2016 and it waited a few more years.)"
In 2020 I eventually finished it and used it during the first lockdown to put some miles in. It is a lovely ride but I have too many bikes (though you wouldn't think it) and decided to sell it later in the year. 20 watchers and lots of views at £75 but collection only meant it didn't sell. I have posted three bikes, the Raleigh and the first Orbit and I hate it, takes forever. Anyway I am ripping it to bits again and transferring the bits, I will sell the frame and forks only and this is less trouble to post. 22/11/2020
I can't find the photos, looks like I deleted them after it failed to sell and ebay deleted the draft photos from the resale I didn't get round to. I will photograph it before it comes apart and update the album.

It went back on the road again in 2021 until I cleaned it then broke a spoke while truing a wheel, I replaced two spokes but it's still off the road in May 2021.

No comments:

Post a Comment